Efficient processes in a modern laundry
Laundry processing stages
- Each day, care workers and other staff collect soiled laundry from the 34 rooms and 4 residential groups, and sort items into blue (residents), white (bed linen) and red (employees) sacks. The sacks are then taken down to the laundry on the ground floor.
- On the infeed side, soiled laundry is then sorted once again according to wash temperature, type of fabric and degree of soiling.
- Soiled laundry is washed in two machines: one is a barrier machine (24 kg PW 6243), the other is a front-loading unit (PW 6101 EL FT for a 10 kg load). Both are machines which pre-date the new on-premise laundry. These will soon be joined by a second barrier machine. 24 kg of soiled laundry are reprocessed every hour. This amounts to 192 kg a day.
- The employees switch from the infeed to the outfeed side, passing through a hygiene cubicle as they do.
- Washed textiles are always removed from barrier machines on the clean side (barrier machine) or via a hygiene passthrough (front-loading unit) and transferred to the tumble dryer (PT 8507) for drying.
- Bedding and outer wear are finished after drying on a flatwork ironer (PM 1217).
- Blouses, shirts and trousers are finished on a Veit ironing table.
- Items which do not require ironing such as vests, socks, and hand/bath towels are folded, put into piles, and then sorted onto shelves, each labelled with the resident's name.
- The racks with fresh laundry are ready to be picked up.
- Care workers pick up the trolleys and wheel the laundry to the residential groups. There laundry is distributed to residents.
Further information about the laundry
Amount of laundry
- 3.8 tonnes per month soiled washing from residents and employees are processed in the laundry.
Washing machines, tumble dryers and flatwork ironers
1 Miele PW 6243 barrier washing machine with a load capacity of 24 kg
1 Miele PW 6101 mop washer with a load capacity of 10 kg
1 Miele PT 8507 tumble dryer with a load capacity of 20–25 kg
- Miele PM 1217 flatwork ironer
Of laundry operation
- Of the five female employees, two work full-time. The other three part-time
Monday to Friday,6 a.m. to 2 p.m..
This article is part of our magazine "PROconcept". You are welcome to download it. You can find this article on page 10-11.Download PROconcept